Tuesday 23 September 2008

Sweet Potato Soup

I wanted to make something really comforting for a lunch one day and I decided on coming up with a recipe for Sweet Potato Soup. I am usually very successful when it comes to making soup (I think it's genetics as my Grandad can make soup out of absolutely anything) and this recipe worked out quite well.

Ingredients
3 sweet potatoes
600ml vegetable stock
tomato paste
ground cayenne
salt + pepper
chili powder or flakes


I first started off by peeling and dicing the sweet potatoes. I added a tsp of vegetable oil to a large pan and sweated the sweet potato for 5 minutes with the lid on. This sent them a more in depth colour.
I seasoned the potatoes before adding the vegetable stock. I brought it to the boil and then simmered gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
After 20 minutes the soup was nearly smooth (if it is quite thick add a little hot water), I added a tbsp of tomato puree, a small tsp of ground cayenne and I seasoned the soup again.
I personally like soup smooth so I then blended and sieved the soup.

When heating up later I added a dash of chili powder on the top for some add heat and served with bloomer bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment