Thursday 30 December 2010

Ekachai in Selfridges in Birmingham

RB and I went to Birmingham the other day to look around the sales and shops. I didn't really want to buy anything, but I do like going into Selfridges, especially to look around the food hall and go to the mini restaurants in there! We decided to go to Ekachai for something to eat. I love Selfridges so much that I am tempted to move to Birmingham, Manchester or London just to be near one!

To start we shared some vegetable spring rolls that came with a sweet chili sauce.

RB had this jasmine flowering tea. I have never seen anything like this before and when he ordered it I thought it was just jasmine flower tea, so I was mesmerised when the little bud dropped in hot water turned into a little garden in his glass. Isn't the most beautiful cup of tea you've ever seen. So tasty and fragrant too!

We shared mains and order the sambal sauce and sweet and sour sauce (below), both with tofu and vegetables. It came with a generous portion of sticky rice and salad. Both very yummy and good portions that left you satisfied, but not stuffed. This photo really has nothing to do Ekachai at all. There is a Krispy Kreme opposite and RB wanted to get some doughnuts. We stood in the queue waiting and I thought it was amazing how many doughnuts they made and the system they had made them so quickly!
So overall, Selfridges is a fab department store and a great place to visit and shop. And Ekachai, although not somewhere I would choose to go out for a meal, is great for lunch and keeping the hunger pangs at bay when you're shopping!

3 comments:

  1. Its been a while since I been to B'ham, I think they were still working on the Bullring market the last time I was there. The indoor market there was a place I would frequent whenever my parents visited their friends there.

    I have been sent a blossoming tea bud and am excited at the thought of watching it grow in the glass. I just need to buy myself a see though mug so that I too can mesmerize upon its charm. So it was good to read of your experience of it.

    Happy New Year to you Vegetarian Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmnomnom!
    thanks for the comment your username instantly caught my attention as a fellow veggie tehe!
    I have done a fair few and love doing personalised illustrations its a lot of fun :)
    Jaymie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you too mangocheeks. Birmingham is a great city, it is only 45min drive away from where my parents and boyfriend live so we go fairly often.

    Your illustrations are amazing Jaymie! I will have to commission you to do one for me at somepoint!

    ReplyDelete