This year I had no party to go to and no fireworks to watch, but as I like to celebrate every occasion I thought it would be nice to do something. The original plan was to have a Bonfire Night Picnic: wrap up warm with a thermos of chili and some sparklers, and watch other peoples fireworks in the distance. Unfortunately though it rained, as it seems to whenever I have anything planned! I did make the chili though and we decided to stay in and have in with some good bread followed by toffee apples!
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 tin of beans (mixed, black eyed, adzuki, etc)
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- a big squeeze of tomato paste
- chili powder (to taste)
- 1 hot chili
- salt + pepper
- olive oil
- Heat a little olive oil in a large pan and fry the onion until golden brown.
- Add in the sweet potato and garlic and cook for around 5 minutes.
- Add the beans to the pan along with the tomatoes, tomato paste, chili, chili powder and a little water, put a lid on the pan and simmer for around 30 minutes, until the sweet potato is tender.
- Check for seasoning and add salt, pepper and more chili powder or tomato paste, if required, and then cook for a further 5 minutes before serving.