Friday 10 September 2010

Animal Friendly Deodrant Test

One thing I have struggled to go animal friendly with is deodorant. I do like to use BUAV products wherever possible, but I struggle to trust anything but Sure Deodorant as I want to be guaranteed that I will smell good all day. However, although they do not test their finished product on animals, it does not mean that the ingredients aren't tested on animals. I have chosen deodorants which are easily available on the high street.

Body Shop have recently brought out a new range of deodorant called DeoDry which is in three different scents. I thought I would give it a go! I got the DeoDry entitled 'Cool & Zesty' in the 'Stick' variety because I prefer this to a roll on. I want to really test this deodorant, so I used it on a warm day in which I was fairly busy and would be travelling about on my bike.

My verdict: It wasn't bad and performed better than expected. It isn't a 24 hour deodorant and I didn't feel it was quite as good as Sure Deodorant but very close! As long as you didn't mind reapplying the deodorant half way through the day then you'd be fine with this. I definitely didn't smell while using it, it's just it didn't have quite as pleasant a smell when I sweated as my old deodorant. I didn't seem to sweat an awful lot either, however a) it was warm and not hot on this day; b) I do not sweat a lot, so it may not be the same for everyone.

I have bought another Body Shop product to try: Aloe Anti-Perspirant Deodorant. I have high hopes for this as it has good reviews on the Body Shop website. Just a little put off my it being a roll on as you have to wait for them to dry before you can get dressed.



To also really test this, I chose another busy day to try it, just to be fair to the other deodorant! No cycling today, but lots of places to visit, carrying luggage and an hour train journey.

My Verdict: It had a pleasant smell when I put it on and didn't take that long to dry which I was impressed with. I felt fairly dry throughout the day, but I felt by the end of the day it hadn't quite protected me against sweat smells as my usual deodorant.
To give another shop a chance, I then went to Superdrug to try their own brand range as it is cruelty free. I tried the 'Crystal' version as it promises to minimise white marks on your clothes.
I tried this on a warm day where I had lots of cleaning to do, a workout, so basically a fairly vigorous day. It says 24 hour protection on the label so we'll see how it goes.
My Verdict: I think this performed better than the two previous deodorants. By the evening I was very dry and fresh. Hardly any sweat smells.
I wanted this to be a fair test, so I thought it would only be right to test my usual Sure Deodorant, to see if this really did perform better, or if it was similar to the others but I didn't really notice.
My Verdict: When I actually tried this I found that it did perform really well, but only actually marginally better than the Superdrug deodorant.
I think it is going to take a little while longer and some more experimenting to choose what I would is going to be my permanent deodorant.
Can anyone recommend a BUAV approved anti-persprint deodorant?

No comments:

Post a Comment