Monday 27 September 2010

POTATOES!

I unfortunately don't have my own home grown veg. Do feel sad for me! I am trying to make improvements though. So I love it when people very kindly give me some of their home grown veg extras to make lovely things out of. This hasn't happened yet this year and I was hoping that someone would give me a big bag of apples as I have some apple recipes I'd like to try. While I was at work the other day, somebody unexpectedly offered me some home grown potatoes so I had to take them up on the offer. I wanted to make some lovely recipes with potatoes and this is what I came up with! Potatoes are a wonderful staple food. They're great because they're so cheap, so perfect for students and anyone on a budget. Mine are especially thrifty as they're free and I also feel that they're tastier because they're home grown.


Potato Bake

Photo's aren't my strongest point, I would like to get a fab camera and take better ones but I never get the timing right. We always eat half of the dish before I remember to take a photo anyway. So as you can see, we have eaten the majority of this.
  • Potatoes
  • Milk
  • Onion
  • Clove of Garlic
  • Salt + Pepper
  • Grated Cheese
  • Butter
  • Olive Oil
After peeling the potatoes, slice them fairly thinly and set them aside in some water. In a pan put a good amount of olive oil and butter. Gently heat and add a finely diced onion and crushed clove of garlic. After about five minutes, add the potatoes and coat them in butter/onion mixture, then add milk to just cover the potatoes. Simmer until the potatoes and tender and layer the mixture (along with the liquid) with grated cheese and season. I did around 3 layers and added extra cheese to the top. I baked it at 200 degrees centigrade for 40 minutes.
Bubble & Squeak Cakes
  • Potatoes
  • Cabbage
  • Seasoning
  • Olive Oil
Boil the potatoes, boil the cabbage after you have shredded it. Mash the potatoes (I usually put in a bit of butter) and then combine the cabbage. Season and then make into patty shapes and set aside. Fry in olive oil when ready. I served mine with fried eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment