Thursday 5 August 2010

Souvenirs from Imperial War Museum

As I have blogged before. I went to the Imperial War Museum in London and found it fascinating. We spent so long walking around and taking things in that we didn't get to see the upstairs or the wartime farm and we will have to soon go back to finish it off.

I found it really interesting to learn about all different wars, why they started, how they ended, as I had heard of them before but didn't know an awful lot about them. I particularly found the personal stories of people really interesting, more interesting than weaponry and things like that, which my boyfriend proffered. I loved learning what it was like to grow up as a war time child, as it remind me of a project that I did on WWII right back when I was in primary school, and also helped me remember stories that my grandparents had told me, who were children during WWII. I also found the homefront information really interesting, as war took over everybodys lives and everyone had to pull together, making changes to their lives.

These are some of the things that I bought from the Imperial War Museum, they had a really lovely gift shop. I got this pack of replica posters, leaflets and ration books from WWII homefront. Has an interesting little recipe book inside, guide on how to grow your own vegetables and also little bus tickets that have the different campaign messages on the back.

I also got this cute poster for my kitchen, that says: "TURN OVER A NEW LEAF: Eat Vegetables daily to enjoy good health". I liked a lot of the posters, as they had a retro appeal to them.

This is a book that I didn't buy then, but I may in the future. It shows that the past can teach us how to be more self-sufficient and green. I also liked some other books that were about cookery, growing your own veg and sewing.

2 comments:

  1. VegetarianGirl,
    My first time on your blog. So glad I have found it and will be back on a regular basis.
    Loved your treats from the Imperial War Museum. I have not been and would love to get one of those posters for my tiny kitchen too. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya! So glad you like to blog! It means so much to me to get good feedback and for more people to read what I write. Keep coming back :) xx

    ReplyDelete